Thoughts on LLMs

I am a distributed systems researcher. I mostly read and write about distributed systems and lightweight formal methods. But as my blog definition says, the blog is about "distributed systems broadly defined and other curiosities". 

The last two years, LLMs were unavoidably the biggest part of those curiosities. However, I was still surprised how much I had written about them, when I went looking for a line I remembered coining. Something like, "LLMs are good at mediocrity, but really fast".

I couldn't find the line, but instead I found a pile of my takes on LLMs scattered across the blog, and I figured it was worth collecting them into an index. So here it is, enjoy! I also threw in my overall take on LLMs that has stayed constant through their four years of reign so far.

 

Hot takes on LLMs

Our Collective Bike Shed Moment (June 26)

Are We Becoming Architects or Butlers to LLMs? (Feb 26)

How LLMs may affect academic writing (Feb 26) 

Agentic AI and The Mythical Agent-Month (Jan 26)

The Agentic Self: Parallels Between AI and Self-Improvement (Jan 26) 

Too Close to Our Own Image? (Jan 26)

Rethinking the University in the Age of AI (Jan 26)

Welcome to Town Al-Gasr (Jan 26)

The Invisible Curriculum of Research (Oct 25) — mostly about AI, trust me

Academic chat: On PhD (Oct 25) — follow-up to the above

What I'd do as a College Freshman in 2025 (Apr 25)


Hot damn, 11 posts deep... Apparently I am an AI thought leader now by accident.

Looking at the dates, I was clearly most obsessed with LLMs in January 2026. There is no surprise there, since agentic tools and models turned a real corner that Thanksgiving of 2025. 

What has stayed constant over the years, however, even as the models themselves got much better, is my verdict on them. The phrase I had been hunting for turned out to be: "LLMs excel at high-throughput mediocrity". 

LLM output looks excellent when you are not the expert in the room. But on a topic you actually know, you would evaluate the output only as a notch above mediocre. This is the Gell-Mann amnesia effect in action. However, the difference is that LLMs can produce this output fast, and they never get tired.  

That is actually very handy when you don't want to work on a part of a project that requires mediocre effort. And the best thing is, you don't have to get bogged down doing it, and keep your momentum going as the LLMs handle those parts. They are a gift from the Gods if you have ADHD. The mundane half of a project that used to stall me out completely is no longer an obstacle.

Which is all to say,  LLMs are a tool. Use the right tool for the right job and you'll love it. Master your tools, and don't focus on their shortcomings for everything and all things.

Even with all these tools running, my highest-ROI tool is still just Emacs (going strong against LLMs at 50 years old, like me), where the actual thinking, writing, and planning happens. Use LLMs for the uninteresting stuff, where mediocrity is sufficient, so you have your time and energy for the work that actually matters.


AI x Systems Research

Well, LLMs didn't just show up as a curiosity in my work, they also collided more directly with my research. Here as they show up in my paper reviews, workshop write-ups, and conference notes, where formal methods and AI actually crossed paths.


Specula: Scaling formal specifications for autonomous model checking of system code (August 26)

Our MongoDB TLA+ Workshop (June 26)

Writing Code vs. Shipping Code: Productivity Effects Across Generations of AI Coding Tools (June 26)

ACM CAIS: Conference on AI and Agentic Systems (June 26)

BugBash'26 Keynote: We won, what now? (April 26) 

Measuring Agents in Production (March 26)

Measuring AI Ability to Complete Long Software Tasks (March 26) 

SysMoBench: Evaluating AI on Formally Modeling Complex Real-World Systems (March 26) 

Beat Paxos (March 26)

Barbarians at the Gate: How AI is Upending Systems Research (Oct 25)

Supporting our AI overlords: Redesigning data systems to be Agent-first (Sep 25)

Neurosymbolic AI: Why, What, and How (Aug 25)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hints for Distributed Systems Design

The Agentic Self: Parallels Between AI and Self-Improvement

Learning about distributed systems: where to start?

5 Lessons at 50

Foundational distributed systems papers

Building a Database on S3

Cloudspecs: Cloud Hardware Evolution Through the Looking Glass

Specula: Scaling formal specifications for autonomous model checking of system code

Aurora DSQL: Scalable, Multi-Region OLTP

What I'd do as a College Freshman in 2025