Our first Zoom DistSys reading group meeting

We did our first Zoom DistSys reading group meeting on April 1st, Wednesday 15:30 EST. We discussed the Gryff paper.

I didn't have much Zoom  experience, and this was very experimental reaching out to the world at large to run a reading group with whomever is interested.

20 people attended.  As I was introducing the format, one person starting writing chat messages, saying "this is so boring", etc.  He had connected with a phone, and the video was showing him walking probably in a market. This should have been a red flag. The meeting participants asked me to remove him, because he was pinging them and bothering them as well. That was our troll.

I had taken measures to stop zoom-bombing, since I had heard this was an issue.
  • Only the hosts and cohosts could share screen. 
  • I made two co-hosts to help with moderation. 
  • I had selected the option to disallow joining after removal.
I removed the troll, and there was no incidents after that.

The meeting took 90 minutes. The presentation from the slides was for 30 minutes. The general discussion was 25 minutes, and we used 25 minutes for the breakout rooms for focused deeper discussion on selected questions. And we had a 10 minutes of wrap up at the end, where we summarized discussion from the breakout sessions.

This meeting was the first time I used the breakout room session. I was not sure how well the breakout rooms would work, but it turned out great. I used automatic assigning of participants to the room and mentioned that I would switch users between rooms if requested. We had 3 breakout rooms, and around 5 people per room. This enabled us to meet each other in the breakout rooms, and we had a more relaxed and productive conversation. One participant in my breakout room had joined from India (2:30 am local time) and another had joined from Germany (11:30 pm local time). It was nice meeting and discussing with people passionate about distributed systems around the globe.

In the wrap up after the breakouts, I performed a poll and learned that 90% of the participants has read the paper before the meeting. This improved the quality of the discussion. It is not easy to understand a paper just by watching a 25 minute presentation.

Here are the documents for offline viewing. But you had to be there; there is a big advantage for live participation.




On the whole, the Zoom meeting went better than I expected. After we get more experience with the mechanics of Zoom, I think things will run better.

I am now hopeful that we can make this meeting sustainable. I hope we will be able to get enough volunteers for presenting papers. The paper presentation is only for 20-30 minutes, because we assume participants read the paper before the presentation. Volunteering to be a presenter is a good commitment to make for learning more about a specific paper/topic. We ask the presenter to give us a summary 4-5 days before the presentation. This gives enough time for others to get a head start for preparing for the discussion.

Here are the next papers, we will discuss in the upcoming meetings:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Learning about distributed systems: where to start?

Hints for Distributed Systems Design

Foundational distributed systems papers

Metastable failures in the wild

The demise of coding is greatly exaggerated

The end of a myth: Distributed transactions can scale

Scalable OLTP in the Cloud: What’s the BIG DEAL?

SIGMOD panel: Future of Database System Architectures

Why I blog

There is plenty of room at the bottom