MacBook Pro 16: the good, the bad, and the ugly

Late December 2019, I replaced my 2015 model MacBook Pro 13 inch laptop with a 2019 model MacBook Pro 16 inch laptop. The MBP16 laptop provided a long awaited fix to the keyboard Apple broke in 2016. I needed a laptop after 5 years, so I thought this was a good time to hop back on board.

After two months of using it, I am only partially happy with my choice. Let me explain the good, the bad, and the ugly parts.

Good

Big screen: In terms of screen real estate the MBP16 is a big upgrade over my old MBP13. This was very similar to going to a big-screen iPhone: initially the big screen iPhone feels outrageously huge at your hand, but after a week, you look at your old small-screen iPhone surprised how you were able to use that stupidly tiny child-toy. After a week of MBP16, trying to use the MBP13 felt exactly that way.

Keyboard: The keyboard is good. I didn't like the keyboard too much in the beginning because I was switching from 2015 MBP13 which had a good keyboard. But after a couple days of using MBP16, I concluded that its keyboard is better than my old MBP13 keyboard. The keyboard feels more sturdy and solid than the MBP13 keyboard.

Speakers: Oh my... The speakers in MBP16 are amazing, they feel like surround sound. Deep bass, and great experience. (If you are in an open office environment, you won't get to enjoy this feature much.)

Bad 

Touchbar: The touchbar is a gimmick. I don't really have any good use for it. I would be happy to trade the touchbar with physical Function keys any time. I have several assigned Emacs macros for the Function keys. Since the function keys are displayed at the touchbar, there is no haptic feedback when you press on them. As a result I don't realize it when my finger remains on the key more than the normal time, and this causes the macro to execute repeatedly, which is very annoying. Well, you know, at least the escape key is a physical key, so we have that going for us. (By the way, this was one of the big selling point for MBP16! "We give you back the Escape key, worship us again!")

Build quality: I had to get my first MBP16 replaced after the first week due to issues (see the ugly section below for the issues). My replacement laptop arrived, and it had uneven footing. I patched the problem by adding stickers to the foot which was a couple mms shorter than the others. I didn't want to start another return to Apple. As another issue with build quality, last week, I discovered a ding on the aluminum back cover of the screen. I never got a ding in the back cover of my old MBP13 in 5 years, and I have no idea how this one occurred.

Ugly

External display problem:  Initially, I had only one power adapter for my MBP16, which I kept at home. MBP16 is advertised as having 11 hours battery life, so I thought I could be OK without a power adapter at my office for a while. But I  was flabbergasted when I saw that the battery drained within 3 hours! I thought there was something very wrong with the battery and I started a return/replacement. It took me another week to realize that my problem was the external display; when I used the MBP16 without the external display (which I don't do often), the battery indeed lasted for 11 hours. I was unable to make the connection before that because this never happened with my MBP13: my MBP13 would not have any noticeable increase in battery drainage even when used with the external display.

The reason this happens is because MBP16 has dual graphics: Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB, and AMD Radeon Pro 5300M 4 GB. The more powerful AMD Radeon Pro kicks in when an external display is connected, and drains the battery quickly. It also heats up the laptop; the part above the touchbar gets very hot and the fans start to scream when you are using an external display. Om Malik recently reported that MBP16 has a fan problem. No it has an external display problem. I hope Apple can create a software patch to alleviate the problem.

I carried on with the return/replacement, because the first MBP16 had random crush/restart issue. It would have random restarts almost every night and a couple times while I was using it, with some weird kernel panic message (some involving the GPU/graphics card). The replacement MBP16 indeed solved the crash/restart problem. But it still suffers from the external display battery drainage problem, and I ended up buying another power adapter for my office. I also make sure I go to my lectures with full battery, because I need to hook up to the external display/projector.

Even with the adaptor

Conclusion

The MacBook Pro went from a product I adored to a product I tolerate due to lack of options. I am still partially happy with my choice, because the other laptops are not any better, and I am so used to Macs after 15 years of using them.

The way Moore's law seem to be doing nothing for laptops is amazing! Objectively they should be a couple order of magnitude better than laptops from 20 years ago. But I feel like my first laptop, the Thinkpad laptop I bought in 2001 with its FreeBSD+XFCE setup, has been the laptop that felt the fastest. Yes, the switch to SSDs provided a big boost around 2012, but excepting that I don't feel like I see a 20 years worth improvement over my 2001 Thinkpad.

This laptop should take me for another 5 years (let's cross our fingers). I hope 2025 will finally be the year of Linux desktop. I want to switch to a Linux (or FreeBSD) laptop, and I hope I won't need to allocate 1 week from my schedule to get it setup.

Comments

Bart van Deenen said…
I use a Macbook Pro at work at the moment (provided for and managed by the company).

Whenever I get back at home, and work on my Dell Latitude running Void Linux, I can breathe a sigh of relief. The keyboard is better, it feels faster, it boots 10 times faster, and I can do everything I want with it. As far as a no hassles setup, I'd say the Void Linux laptop is less hassle than a Mac (at least it's a rolling release, that will never force a major OS upgrade down your throat).

Also, the customizability of the Linux machine leaves the Mac in the dust (I hate the stupid Mac window manager, and that you'd pretty much have to buy extensions to provide things that Xfce provides out of the box like corner snapping and such).

Considering the price difference, there really is no contest between the two, the Mac is 4 times more expensive.

Roland Smith said…
I've been using FreeBSD on laptops and workstations for years now.

Currently, if you get a laptop with Intel CPU and built-in graphics, it should work out-of-the-box without problems. Generally I don't buy the latest and greatest. Last year I bought a Kaby Lake based laptop from BTO (re-branded Clevo). It works fine with FreeBSD 12.1 and performs well.

Configuring a new laptop takes me around two days. Mostly because I like to build my ports with non-default options.

Generally I follow FreeBSD-STABLE and update it whenever I see the need to do so.

Popular posts from this blog

Learning about distributed systems: where to start?

Hints for Distributed Systems Design

Foundational distributed systems papers

Metastable failures in the wild

The demise of coding is greatly exaggerated

Scalable OLTP in the Cloud: What’s the BIG DEAL?

The end of a myth: Distributed transactions can scale

SIGMOD panel: Future of Database System Architectures

Why I blog

There is plenty of room at the bottom