Book review: Last lecture by Randy Pausch

Of course you have watched the late Prof. Randy Pausch's last lecture. If for some reason you haven't, please right that wrong now.

I recently read the book "Last Lecture" by Randy Pausch. I got the book from my local library, yes, a physical library building. They still exist, and they are a great resource.

It is a short book, and I have a very brief review.

The book does not repeat the "last lecture" presentation. It tells mostly disjoint and complementary story, and it gets into more personal stuff. I learned several more interesting anectodes about Randy in this book.

It is of course a very heartbreaking story. The book is a "memento mori".

It makes you think about "What would you want to be known for?" and "How would you prioritize your life if you had 5 years left?"

I am still thinking about those long after I returned the book to the library.

I am currently reading about "Crypto: How the Code Rebels Beat the Government Saving Privacy" by Steven Levy and "Tribe of Mentors" by Tim Ferriss. Both courtesy of my local library, and both very interesting. I will write short summaries about them once I am done.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The end of a myth: Distributed transactions can scale

Hints for Distributed Systems Design

Foundational distributed systems papers

Learning about distributed systems: where to start?

Metastable failures in the wild

Scalable OLTP in the Cloud: What’s the BIG DEAL?

SIGMOD panel: Future of Database System Architectures

The demise of coding is greatly exaggerated

Dude, where's my Emacs?

There is plenty of room at the bottom